Chemical and Plastics Industry
The Leading Industrial Sector
Saxony-Anhalt is the heartland of the East German chemical industry. The formula for this: billions in investments, state-of-the-art facilities and the idea of chemical parks. They were developed here and ensure the shortest channels of supply and technological synergies. And what is the response? A growth in the chemical and plastic processing industry that is considerably above the national average!
The Chemistry is right here
About seven billion euros in turnover are generated annually here at one of the world’s most attractive locations for the chemical industry. We are the East German federal state with the largest density of employees in the chemical industry, who in turn show a unique sales productivity. Research additionally accelerates the growth processes. For instance, scientists at the Fraunhofer centre in Leuna are working on replacing oil and natural gas with biomass as a raw material for the chemical industry.
With best regards from “Plastics and Elastomers”
Saxony-Anhalt combines tradition and modernity when it comes to plastic: plastics have been at home here for more than 75 years. Since that time our state has evolved into a worldwide leading competence centre for polymer production and processing. In 2015, the 104 companies in the plastics industry generated a total industry turnover of more than three billion euros.
- Central German chemistry triangle: traditional yet innovative location for the chemicals and plastics industry in the centre of Europe
- 206 companies (with over 20 employees), producing chemical products or rubber and plastic goods
- Almost 23,000 employees
- Predominantly small and mid-sized companies; around 10% of all chemistry companies are categorised as large companies
- Five chemistry parks: Chemiepark Bitterfeld-Wolfen, Chemiestandort Leuna, Dow Value Park Schkopau/Böhlen, Agro-Chemie Park Piesteritz, Chemie- und Industriepark Zeitz
- Supply of raw materials: integrated product flow and material-specific expertise
- available and well developed industrial areas for plastics manufacturer
- 15 research centres
- High acceptance of the chemicals industry among the population and politicians
- Efficient connections to markets and suppliers
- Central German chemicals/plastics cluster