News around Saxony-Anhalt
As manifold as the federal state are the news and stories from Saxony-Anhalt. In this newsletter we report on innovative businesses, smart ideas, investments and on the people behind the success stories.
By registering you will obtain our Newsletter Invest by email on a regular basis via e-mail. It will keep you updated of the latest news in and around Saxony-Anhalt. You will also find a download version on this website.We hope you enjoy reading our Newsletter Invest.
06.09.2010 SOLAR VALLEY at the EU PVSEC in Valencia: Saxony-Anhalt's solar energy industry emerges from the economic crisis stronger than everSOLAR VALLEY in Saxony-Anhalt has emerged from the economic crisis stronger than ever. The recently published business report of Q-Cells SE from Bitterfeld. Q-Cells improved its turnover by 44% in the second quarter of 2010. Even after the economic crisis, Saxony-Anhalt remains the best region globally for the manufacture of solar technology and SOLAR VALLEY is, in addition, the region with the world's greatest concentration of PV companies. In May 2009, the Solar Valley was awarded the Cell Award for the best region worldwide for companies involved in the production of PV.
- One single glass of water polluted with 50 millilitres oil residues: Simply add three grams of DEUREX Pure “Magic Wad,” wait for four minutes and, as if by an invisible hand, the polluted water becomes clear again. What appears to be a magic trick is actually the discovery of a binding agent which may be BP’s long awaited solution to fight the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Aken, the port on the river Elbe, in the administrative district of Anhalt-Bitterfeld is experiencing a wave of success. The recent financial crisis left no trace on the company at the river's 277.4 kilometre mark. All of its business areas, both in the field of heavy goods and project shipment as well as in container logistics have proven themselves to be stable. According to Klaus Schröter, the managing director of the port business Aken GmbH, the revenue from the container line service providing inland shipping along the route Hamburg - Magdeburg - Aken - Riesa experienced 18% growth on the previous year.
- Dr Stefan Schünemann announced that "I would like to build up the reputation of the research centre for the long term so that we are not only bursting at the seams and have to extend our premises but also so that, as a recognised research centre, we are right at the forefront of product development for automobile technology globally". His enthusiasm for the new challenge which he has set himself since 1st July, can be heard in his voice.
26.08.2010 100,000 square metres redeveloped - ChemiePark Bitterfeld-Wolfen (Bitterfeld-Wolfen Chemical Park) would like to expand furtherWerner Rienäcker, Managing Director of IPG the Stadtentwicklungsgesellscahft mbH Bitterfeld-Wolfen (Town Development Ltd Bitterfeld-Wolfen) says "when the demolition work finishes, in a few weeks the largest continuous free space for new industry will be up for sale at the ChemiePark Bitterfeld-Wolfen. This guarantees optimum conditions for the continued growth of the site. The investors can come."
- Whether sweet Ferrero Küsschen, delicious Mon Chéri or Rocher pralines or Nutella chocolate spread - everything which ends up on the shelves of retailers in East Germany from the confectionary manufacturer Ferrero, has passed through the temperature-controlled warehouses of the Offergeld Logistik company on the industrial estate Sachsen-Anhalt Süd (Saxony-Anhalt South) off the Naumburg/Zeitz exit of the A9 motorway.
- The production of biofuel almost doubled in Saxony-Anhalt in 2009. According to the State Office for Statistics, approximately 353,000 metric tons of biodiesel were produced, 39% more than in the previous year. With an existing production capacity of 718,000 metric tons in transesterification plants, an operating rate of 49% could be achieved. An even better utilisation of capacities was achieved in the manufacture of bioethanol. This figure was almost 91% with 427,000 metric tons of bioethanol being produced.
26.08.2010 Trend researcher Sven Gárbor Jánszky predicts that the world of work is approaching a period of profound changeSaxony-Anhalt too, will see dramatic changes in the coming decade in the world of work and world we live in. In five years, a point will have been reached where less young employees are entering the job market than older employees leaving it. One of the most significant trend researchers, Sven Gárbor Jánszky, says that this gap can only be filled if everyone works longer in life. "As life expectancy is also set to rise significantly over the same period, this will no longer be viewed as something terrible" prophecies the manager of the think-tank "2bAhead Think!Tank GmbH" in Leipzig. With these thoughts, Jánszky really is ahead of the game.
25.08.2010 Saxony-Anhalt and Saudi Arabia strengthen business relationships - Minister is positive about the delegation's visitIn order to strengthen business relationships between Saxony-Anhalt and the kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the area of renewable energies, the Minister of Economic Affairs and Employment, Dr. Reiner Haseloff welcomed a high-level delegation of business figures from the largest national economy in the Middle East in the first week of August. The representatives from Saudi Arabian industry, politics and science were able to learn about the potential of Saxony-Anhalt as a business location for renewable energies.
- 29th September to 1st October 2010, Cannes:
Saxony-Anhalt gets you moving - in the market for the future, electromobility