“Mittelstand 4.0” centre of excellence opens
Successful application with the federal government – 3.6 million euros in funding by 2020
Ude: “Milestone on the way to the digital future”
How does digitalisation reach small and medium-sized enterprises? From now on, answers to this question will also be available in Magdeburg: State Secretary Dr. Jürgen Ude and State Secretary Iris Gleicke from the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy officially opened the new “Mittelstand 4.0” centre of excellence today. In this context, “Mittelstand” refers to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). It shall support the topic of digitalisation in the local economy and be available to companies as contact partner. A consortium of five organisations from the sphere of science and research successfully applied for the centre of excellence with the support of the state – a total of 3.6 million euros will be funded by the federal government by the end of July 2020.
Ude emphasised: “The opening of the centre of excellence is a milestone on the way to the digital future of our economy. In addition to the demonstration of technical solutions, the focus is also on the development of digital business models. Our SMEs will benefit enormously from both achievements.” The aim is also to create synergies with the “Partnership Network energy 4.0” and with the “Network of Expertise for Applied and Transfer-Oriented Research” (KAT) funded by the state in order to accelerate and shape the digital transition in Saxony-Anhalt.
“Mittelstand 4.0” centre of excellence partners are:
- The Fraunhofer Institute for Factory Operation and Automation IFF in Magdeburg (lead management; topic: Digital business models)
- The Centre for Product, Production and Process Innovation (ZPVP) in Magdeburg (topic: industrial location of the future)
- The Faculty of Computer Science at Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg (topic: data security)
- The Institute for Automation and Communication (ifak) in Magdeburg (topic: digital networking and standardisation) and
- The Centre for Social Research Halle. (topic: usability and acceptance)
Among other things, they will organise information events, implement lighthouse projects and provide demonstration centres.